Saturday, August 9, 2008

Experimental Prologue

I've toyed with the idea of writing a book...to the extent that I've actually written a Prologue and several chapters. It's a book of devotions based on Philippians with quotations from the "Binding of the Blade" series by L. B. Graham. My heart has accompanied his characters on their journey for the past 2 years. I wonder if it makes any sense...


Prologue

“Sending you to Sulare is not exactly as I had expected. I knew it would be a bittersweet day when pride in your achievements and sadness at your departure would mingle in my heart. I anticipated the excitement I would feel for you, even the curiosity as I wondered if it would be for you all that it was for me…I just didn’t foresee the worry and the anxiety that grows in my heart.” Spoken by Monias in, Beyond the Summerland

This collection of letters…a veritable book of impassioned revelations…is a catharsis of sorts in response to, “…the worry and the anxiety that grows in my heart…,” as my sons leave in various ways to register for life experiences that necessitate journeys into the unknown. I don’t feel at all ashamed about my emotional discomfort after discovering that Monias, one of the characters in “Beyond the Summerland,” a warrior, respected father, and very much a man’s man, confessed the same emotions for his son, Joraiem. Both Monias and I have been assured that our sons’ destinations are divinely appointed by Allfather and will be nothing short of life-changing; however, at this junction in my life, I am acutely aware of the dangers, trials, and sacrifices soon to be required of the sons of my heart. Life journeys change us for better or worse, depending on the path chosen at each crossroad…and there will always be more than one path from which to choose. It is in the choosing and the living with that choice that wisdom, insight, endurance, and purpose are realized…hence, the purpose and direction of these letters. While reading Paul’s letter to the Philippians, I sensed God calling me to, “…rightly divide the Word of Truth…,” from a mother’s perspective for my beloved life travelers. It is my prayer that each letter will open heart doors so that God’s Word is able to reside through personal application. Any additional blessings will be the result of God’s amazing grace, evidenced in personal surrender, as I journey through the challenges of motherhood with sons born to be Kingdom warriors.

No comments: